Friday, August 18, 2006

Dream Blog: Day 1

Since the work nazis took away myspace and Howard Stern radio streaming yesterday, I've been forced to look for other forms of internet entertainment. I went back to Erin Pavlina's blog and started looking at her articles. Man, there was some good stuff there! I generally go to her husband Steve's blog which is about personal productivity and development, and that is where I heard his wife Erin on a podcast talking about lucid dreaming.

This is something that has fascinated me for some while and I remember taking out some library books on it maybe 7 years ago but nothing ever came of it. In case you don't know, a lucid dream is one in which you know it's a dream and you can control yourself and everything else in the dream if you want. Erin's blog has some really interesting stuff - she's a psychic and gives accounts of stuff she does and also her lucid dreaming. Her most recent blog about the dreaming describes the place she goes in her dreams called 'Naptown'. It's interesting because she didn't create it on purpose, she just kept waking up there. Also cool is that time passes in Naptown in real time, so she lives a sort of double life.

About a month ago I started a dream journal on my laptop to help me remember my dreams. That's the first step to having lucid dreams, remembering them in the first place. I stopped after a week or so though, I think I just forgot to keep up with it. But since falling in love with Erin's blog again, I made a renewed commitment. I downloaded a wikibook on lucid dreaming and ordered another book from amazon. Before I go to bed I keep my laptop at the foot of the bed and I lay down and repeat in my head that I am going to remember my dream. Eventually I fall asleep and I usually remember my dream in the morning.

I am going to report my progress and my dreams in this blog in order to have some accountability for this project. I really want to be able to lucid dream and I need some discipline so hopefully this will provide it to me. For one thing, I think it would be fun to be able to control your dreams, but also probably insightful since you get a one-on-one interaction with your subconscious. And as has been said before, it's not like you have something better to do while you're sleeping anyway.

So I'll talk about my dreams last night. I woke up this morning two or three times and sprung up, typed on my laptop what I remembered, closed it and fell back asleep. Sometimes my alarm woke me up (I abuse that snooze button), sometimes I woke up on my own.

The first dream I remember was at a fantasy football draft, and Reggie Bush got taken first overall. I'm the first pick in my draft FYI and I don't plan on taking him as my first pick. In a separate dream, I was pushing a guy around in a wheelchair for a while, he may have been John Locke from Lost. I remember thinking that he's not really paralyzed. At some point I took him to a restaurant where we saw a middle-aged woman in business attire sitting alone at a table. She winked and gestured for us to come over, but we went to a different table in the middle of the aisle. It was also empty but I believe we were waiting for other people. In a later dream I saw Jessica K in a parking lot, possibly outside of some sort of sporting event or party. We were going to the same party later so we went together, although she seemed sort of disinterested in general. The last thing I remember about it was us walking up to a house and some tall guys inside yelling out for us to come in. It too may have been some sort of fantasy draft.

I think these were separate dreams but all in the same cycle. I'll go over some other methods for remembering dreams and inciting lucid dreams in future blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home