Saturday, August 19, 2006

Dream Blog: Day 2

Look I'm posting a blog on a Saturday, how consistent I am. Remember, I'm looking to do this for 30 days so if anyone is reading this (big IF) then stay on me if I miss any time.

So last night I had many different dreams, and I actually remembered to sit up and type them out after most of them. Two of them I forgot to type out after they happened but later when I woke up for good I was able to remember most of them so I added them on. I'll paste my typings in a minute but first I want to talk more about how to become lucid in a dream. This is an excerpt on "reality checks" from that wikibook I linked to yesterday:

"Reality checks are a method of discerning between dreams and reality. It is extremely important to perform these. One could say they are the “keys” to lucid dreaming. It is also extremely important to make sure that you expect these to produce dream results — you accept your reality, even when it is a dream. It would be counterproductive to expect real-life results in a dream, as the outcome of a reality check can be modified by the placebo effect. It won't affect outcomes in real-life (unless you are mentally ill!), but you will probably have a higher success rate in dreams."

Here are some reality checks it lists: Breathing while holding your nose, floating after you jump, words on books/signs changing when you look at them again, your hands having different amounts of fingers or strange colors, clocks displaying nonsensical numbers or symbols, and light switches not working properly (for some reason, light switches rarely work correctly in dreams).

"Choose a few reality checks which you will do regularly. Keep doing reality checks until you are convinced that you aren't dreaming. You should always carry out more than one reality check. If you find that it is not a dream, look around you and think of what would be different if it was a dream. If you do this it will make it more likely that you will do a reality check in a dream.

Apart from doing reality checks throughout the day, you also need to do a reality check immediately after you wake up. This helps you become lucid in false awakenings, when you begin to act out the following day in a dream."

So there you go, you need to get into the habit of testing reality so that this habit will follow you into dreams. This is easier said than done because it's easy to to forget to test reality throughout the day and when you first wake up. I'm going to try it out though. Here's a summary of the dreams I wrote down from last night (notice another fantasy football reference, I clearly spend too much time on FF sites):

I’m in a library or video game store. I’m looking for a guide for Zelda and one other game. The old worker takes a long time to get it for me (not Zelda, Mario world actually) and so I just take what I got and sit down and read. There are a lot of old people. The guide is actually about fantasy football. It has a few nuggets of info on each page and them some candy. There is a dishwasher near the old Nintendo manuals that is wet and possibly broken.

On the enterprise at ten forward, this scene is like the one where data is unsure about yar’s sister. Data and riker are talking about.

New dream: girl/woman just got an ‘amazing fact’, I can’t remember what it is though. Sort of one sentence advice.

I am somewhere exploring hallways, seems like people are getting crazy. I go down into a dark basement. I think I might be in a Home Depot type store but there is some crisis.

I’m with a group sort of like my Spain group. We’re waiting in a field for our plane to arrive. For some reason I’m naked as I’m laying down but some big tall girl is covering me up. Mary Kate Salerno comes off a plane and some of her DG friends in our group greet her and I go over to greet her.

2 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger infiorno said...

Wasn't Yar's sister episode on TV yesterday? I saw that in the preview, so I set it to record because a yankee game was on or something.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Romeo Foxtrot said...

Yeah I saw a little bit of the episode, although I've seen it before and that's what inspired that part of the dream. I was thinking you'd probably think that Tasha Yar's sister looked like me in the early 90's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home